Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

If I as a landlord failed I to comply with Florida Statute

Customer Question

If I as a landlord failed I to comply with Florida Statute 83.49 section (b) and section (c)(2) that basically states that I have to keep the money that was paid to me for a deposit in a Fl. bank. Would Bank of America be considered a Fl. bank? What can my tenant do to me?
Thank you
Trey Elzy
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.
Bank of America is a Florida bank (it is federally chartered and does business in FL).
If you do not comply with the statute then you must return the security deposit to the tenant. It may not be used.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service?