Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am looking of a dog that was left in my care

Customer Question

I am looking for custody of a dog that was left in my care by its owner in February. Owner didn't supply food, didn't pay vet bills, didn't pay for shelter, didn't come and get the dog when I asked her to. Today she wanted to come and get him. I told her I mo longer considered Lincoln to be her dog. She said I'll see you in court. Are there laws concerning ownership of the dog?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
What were the circumstances of her leaving the dog in the first place? Was it a gift or were you supposed to look after the dog for length of time? If so, how long, and did the owner ask for the dog back at the end of this time, or wait longer - if so - how long?
Is there anything in writing or email or text message about this?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.