Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Our Grand-daughter of 22 yrs was online dating. Her supposed

Customer Question

Our Grand-daughter of 22 yrs was online dating. Her supposed date showed up and was not expected and due to his nasty attitude was sent on his way. There was no reported special priviliges to be expected but he is suing her for $23,000. This has been forwarded to the legal folks and she was advised action is being taken to sue. What can we, or should we do at this time?
Regards, Stuart
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I am a little confused as to your statements..
.
What are the grounds under which he is claiming that she owes him $23K?
.
Was there some type of loan made?
.
Or is there a written contract that was allegedly breached?
.
""There was no reported special priviliges to be expected""...not sure what this means?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He claims monies for time incurred. No loan was made. No contract was made. No special priviliges such as sex or other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The time incurred could be he came from another state to visit.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then unless there was some type of contract that was entered into where she agreed to pay him for his time or reimburse him for any damages he incurred if the relationship went badly, then he is simply out of luck.
.
You can't sue someone for damages if you are dating and the relationship simply doesn't work out unless there is some proof that there was an agreement for one party to pay the other some type of money as damages.
.
It sounds like this is simply a malicious and spiteful person who is doing this to harass granddaughter. If this is the case, she could countersue him for "malicious prosecution" for punitive damages to set an example and deter future similar behavior from the person.
.
.
thanks