Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a multi state nursing license and accepted a

Customer Question

I have a multi state nursing license and accepted a temporary part time position in south Carolina. I don't intend on making south carolina my primary state of residence but purchased an apartment in the state to make my commute to work easier. Do I need
to acquire licensure in the state also?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your new question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
South Carolina is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC). The NLC does not affect additional requirements imposed by states for advanced practice registered nursing. This means that a current APRN South Carolina license or temporary license is required to practice advanced nursing in this state. Orientation is considered the practice of nursing in South Carolina. Therefore, all nurses must possess a current South Carolina license and/or temporary license before beginning orientation (including classroom instruction and reading policies and procedures). It is a violation of the Nurse Practice Act to begin orientation without the proper license and can result in action by the Board. See: South Carolina Nurse Practice Act, Chapter 33, Section 40-33-34.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not an advanced practice nurse or a new grad nursing seeking a temporary license until I pass my board. I'm a registered nurse with a multi state license, which means I can practice in participating states and they would recognize my license similar to other states recognize your drivers license. The question here is about residency. I'm told that states require you to register with their state if the state become your primary state of residence. So my question is, since I purchased an apartment only to make my commute easier and never intend on making south Carolina my primary state of residence, do I have to register with the state?
Thank you for your reply.
You would still need to be licensed in SC, either permanent or temporary, to practice actually in SC even with the national multi state license. It is a matter of applying for the license, no testing. That is how the state's make money.