Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

Someone called me about a court summon person I barely

Customer Question

Someone called me about a court summon for a person I barely know and said that they put me and my father down as an associate contact. I live in MS and they said the person live in Houston TX. I have no contact or dealing with this person and my father doesn't know the guy. He would have never used us. I asked them to take my name off and they said they would make me responsible for his court summon since they told me about it. I demanded my number to be removed and they hung up..What can I do?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. If you have the paperwork that indicates what the matter is about (a copy of the summons), you need to call the court on the summons and let them know that you are in no way responsible for this person as you barely know them. If you don't have that information, you should ignore the phone call altogether. They cannot legally serve process on your via a phone call. It has to be served in person by someone legally allowed to serve process. If that has not happened, just ignore the situation altogether because you bear no legal responsibility.
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.
Please rate my answer positively.
Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I just want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!