Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I put money into my boyfriends bike which was not gifts I have

Customer Question

I put money into my boyfriends bike which was not gifts I have all the receipts he refuses to pay back the money what do I do
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
How much have you spent on the bike for him? What evidence do you have that the payments were not gifts, besides the receipts?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

receipts and several text messages

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. If he admits in the texts that he agreed to repay you and has not, that would normally be enough evidence to seek a judgment against him in small claims court.
You can file a claim yourself in small claims court in order to avoid attorney's fees if the claim is $7,500 or less. You would normally need to file where the defendant resides (NH).
Here is a link to the NH small claims court link for your reference:
http://www.courts.state.nh.us/district/claims/
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it was more like 10k and no he will never admit

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see, Tara.
If there is nothing in writing indicating he admits to the debt, then it would be your word against his as to whether it was a gift or a loan and there is a strong likelihood that you would not prevail in a lawsuit, which would typically require an attorney if you wish to sue for the entire amount you allege is owed. So there would be more risk that you would lose the case unfortunately.
You could instead retain an attorney for the limited purpose of drafting a demand letter to him threatening a lawsuit if you have reason to believe he might settle the debt with you to avoid a lawsuit. If not, then you should know that if you pursue a lawsuit, you could lose for lack of proof that the money was a loan and not a gift.