Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

If a judge orders an injunction against a city agency and

Customer Question

if a judge orders an injunction against a city agency and a mayor to stop performing a certain activity and the city and mayor does do not obey it, what happens then?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

The judge would then have several options. Most importantly, the judge could hold the city in contempt of court and could hold the mayor in his personal capacity in contempt. That could entail a fine for the city and the mayor or putting the mayor in jail. Usually the judge won't go that far on the first infraction, but it all depends on how much it's happened and how egregious it is. To make this happen, you would need to file a motion for contempt and request a hearing.

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do cities and mayors ever have this happen , do they care because they're so big and they never get put in jail

I've never heard of a Mayor being put in jail for contempt, but that's not to say it never happens. It just isn't that common that a mayor has an injunction granted against him/her, so there aren't that many opportunities for it to happen. That said, most judges will follow the law.