socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I worked department store, I stoled some money, total

Customer Question

I worked for a department store, I stoled some money, total of 1350 dollars, but returned all the money, what charges could I face in court, in the state of Indiana
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Does anyone know that you stole the money?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The manager saw me, and fired me, I had to write a statement agreeing I told the truth and was willing to give the money back, which I did
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was told by the Indiana policemen I was going to get something in the mail for a court date, what charges could I face
Okay, thanks. If the store reports your conduct to the police, and the district attorney decides to prosecute you, then you are likely to be charged with a Class D felony -- which is the typical charge for most theft crimes in Indiana. A person who commits a Class D felony will receive a sentence of imprisonment that ranges between six months and three years, with the advisory sentence being one and one-half years. The court may suspend any portion of a Class D felony theft conviction, unless fewer than three years have elapsed since the person was released from probation, parole, or incarceration for a prior unrelated felony. (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-5-2.) In that case, the sentence of imprisonment may be suspended only if home detention is ordered. In addition, the person may have to pay a fine of not more than $10,000. (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-2-7.)If a person has committed a Class D felony, the court may decide to show leniency by entering judgment of conviction as a Class A misdemeanor, and sentencing the person accordingly. Such leniency is not an option if, within the previous three years, the person has committed a prior, unrelated felony for which judgment was entered as a conviction of a Class A misdemeanor. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's my first offense in Indianaso it's possible I could go to jail on my court date
On your first court date, you will be asked to enter a plea. If the police believed you were a flight risk, you would have been arrested already. I suspect that you will be ordered to pay a small bail amount (less than $500), and released on your own responsibility, pending trial. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm scared if I pled guilty and already have the money back I still got to do time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave the money back, don't that counts for somthing
Legally, you can be sentenced to jail time, if you plead guilty or you are convicted at trial. The fact that you returned the money may be a mitigating factor in determining your sentence. I think you are likely to get probation. However, I would plead not guilty and ask for a public defender (PD) on grounds that you cannot afford an attorney. Then, let the PD negotiate with the district attorney to try to get your conviction lowered to a misdemeanor with probation. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Dear friend, I would have to charge you a very high hourly fee to consult with you by phone. You should conserve your money to pay for a lawyer, or bail. However, if you really want a phone consult, I will send you an additional services offer. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!