Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I've missed a court date old medical bill. A Sheriff's

Customer Question

I've missed a court date for an old medical bill. A Sheriff's Deputy came by home to deliver legal documentation.
Looking on the Virginia Court sites, I see two entries. One for an Interrogatory and another for Show Cause. Both are for the same dates.
Do I need to hire a lawyer? It's for a medical bill which I owe on. There was a previous court date which I missed.
I was told on the phone by the Deputy that I need to meet with him to receive paper work not for an arrest.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
What is the amount of the bill for which you are being sued in court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen the amount, nor is listed on the courts website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Originally, the amount due for a missed appointment is $250.00
Thank you for your follow up.
Is this a small claims case?
Which state are you in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Virginia, the case(s) are listed in Virginia General District Court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, not sure if I listed this in the original question or not...but I'm unsure if I'm to be arrested when the Deputy hands me the "official" documents or is he simply serving me documents as he states. The Deputy said during the Show Cause that it is highly unlikely jail time will be issued, that I would be given a fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the questions are...1) Do I need to hire a lawyer.
2) Am I going to be arrested when I see the Deputy or is he going to deliver documents to me as he's stated.
3) Possible likely outcomes of the Interrogatory / Show Cause
Thanks
Thank you for your follow up.
While I cannot comment on your specific case, here are the general answer to your questions:
1) It is always a good idea to hire an experienced local attorney to represent a person in a court case.
2) It is generally not likely that a Sheriff would make an arrest, but in some cases possible if a writ of bodily attachment was issued by the court because person failed to appear, however, in most cases a sheriff would serve a subpoena for the defendant to appear in court at a date and time specified in the subpoena.
1) Even if defendant has missed a court date and is held in contempt of court in a civil matter, it is not likely that the judge would sanction the defendant by placing him/her in jail, but usually the judge would order a fine and/or would order defendant to pay for the plaintiff's attorneys' fees, related to the missed hearing.
I wish you the best of luck!
Do you have any related follow up questions?