Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a concern with the practices of Firestone Complete auto

Customer Question

I have a concern with the practices of Firestone Complete auto care
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have any evidence that the work they did on your car caused the leak (have you taken it to another mechanic to look at the work they did and get their opinion as to whether or not the work they did caused the leak)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't yet, but I have taken it to them the past two oil changes. On their website regarding Oil changes/Oil leaks they have a section posted below their sale on engine oil where they talk about checking for engine leaks during an oil change:
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/auto-services/oil/leak/
specifically: "When we perform an oil change service, our tire and auto service professionals will check your engine for oil leaks."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
During the life of those oil changes, that are on record with them, I've had to pour in about a quart of oil each time. For both visits to firestone, the same store, I went in for minimal work.....oil change for sure, but maybe a tire rotation too but anyway, I would always get a call about additional work that they were suggesting be done even though the services were unrelated to an oil change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and not once...after two times they looked at an engine that had spilled out a quart of oil somewhere, were they able to suggest that I take a second to make sure there weren't any leaks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my point is this....with what they have on their website is there any way to show negligence in their service and potentially make them liable for repairs that should have been caught?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On top of that, not that it'd be possible to prove but, they're telling me to drive 6k miles on a synthetic oil change after a rep on the phone said that they're only good for 5k. The extra ware and tare based on invalid information provided by the service professionals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Thank you for your reply. I apologize, it seems the site crashed on me and I only was just able to get it back working, I apologize to you for the delay.
The problem is that in order to hold them liable for the leaks you have to prove they actually did something to cause the leak. This means you need to go to another mechanic to inspect any work they did. If all they did was change the oil and "checked for leaks" and did not find your leak, that does not mean they are actually liable for the leaks. They might be negligent for not checking to find where the leak was coming from, but if they did not actually cause the damage or the leak, they would not be legally responsible for the leak itself I am afraid.
In order to hold someone liable for any damage, you have to prove that the actions they took or failed to take actually caused the damage. They call this "nexus" to the damage and without sufficient nexus to the damage, they could not be held legally responsible.