Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My wife was shipped a pair of used shoes by my sister from

Customer Question

my wife was shipped a pair of used shoes by my sister from Canada to Florida by UPS.The charges were $162.17 including brokerage in shipping.We felt this was outrageous.We refused to sign for or pay for it and asked that they be returned to sender.UPS has now sent us an invoice for $162.17 Before I reply to their demand I wanted to get your opinion.Is my wife liable
Andrew Spatafora. ***@******.***
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.
You are not liable if you had not agreed to pay for the shipping (as opposed to not merely rejecting the goods, but contracting to ship them back to the sender). Typically, it is the shipper who pays the cost of the shipping, not the recipient, since that is the party in privity of contract with UPS.
Tell UPS to seek payment from your sister.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?