Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

How to protect in case of liability, injury

Customer Question

Hi
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
As a homeowner, you legal obligation is to provide a reasonably safe workplace for the worker. After that, it becomes a matter of how much control you assert. The more control, the more potential liability because you are directing "how" the handyman does the job. But, if you don't control the job and you provide a reasonably safe workplace (including disclosing any potential hazard areas in the house), you would not be held liable by a court. But, that doesn't necessarily mean a handyman won't sue you if there is an injury. So, to head that off, you would first want the handyman to sign a release of liability releasing you from liability for any injury he may suffer. It would be nice if the handyman could provide you evidence he carries insurance and name you as an additional insured, but if he's just a handyman, it's likely he doesn't carry insurance and if you require it, it will become part of the cost of your job. Finally, you want to contact your homeowner's insurance agent to make sure you are protected in case of a suit, including that the insurance company is obligated to defend any suit.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!