Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

What is the legal obligation of a finder of lost property,

Customer Question

What is the legal obligation of a finder of lost property, specifically with regard to custodial responsibilities? For example, if in the process of returning and/or holding for safekeeping an item wherein are contained multiple items, some of said items were lost, stolen or destroyed? May the finder and/or the custodian of the property be criminally liable for their failure to provide for their secure custody?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Can you explain a little more about your situation? Is the lost property something where the finder would easily be able to ascertain the identity of the true owner? Or was it someone you know, who clearly would know the item belonged to you?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
What type of items are you talking about? Did the finder agree to hold these items for safekeeping after finding out who the owner is?