CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I am the payee disabled son. SSI set an appointment

Customer Question

I am the payee for my disabled son. SSI set an appointment for this morning to verify my income over the last year. I missed the appointment and didn't call to reschedule. Will my son's SSI income cease because I didn't attend the above appointment? Also, can I reapply for SSI if my son's income is stopped as a result of me not attending the appointment today?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Your son's benefits should not be terminated for missing one appointment. Please contact the office tomorrow to reschedule the appointment, and follow up with a "confirmation letter" - see my note below.You will likely see a letter that is auto populated from the Social Security Administration due to missing the appointment, but if you have already called and made a new appointment, you should already be ahead of the curve on ensuring that your son's benefits remain intact.Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.If for some reason the benefits are cancelled, you can appeal the decision (you do not need to reapply for new benefits), but make sure you follow the instructions that accompany the denial notice and file your appeal promptly (if you file a notice of appeal within 10 days of the denial, your son's benefits will continue to accrue during the appeals period).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the appointment is for income verification over the last year. i don't know what my chances on appeal are if I just send in my tax returns and direct deposit from this year? i am a little concerned about reapplying because an attorney told me yesterday that my reapplication can be denied because i didn't go to the meeting. i had this problem with ssi before but had a job that let me reschedule. the longest ssi let me reschedule is 30 days out. i am afraid of losing my job if i reschedule within 90 days of my new job(probationary period).i am really looking at reapplying as a viable option because i dont think ill win on appeals.
It sounds like you have an issue that is more based on the merits of the reapplication as opposed to the missed appointment/rescheduling issue.I would work with your local attorney regarding how best to address this.I am sure you are already aware of this, but in addition to the SSDI benefits, your son's medical insurance is also tied into the same process, so while you may no longer qualify for cash aid, he likely does continue to qualify for health insurance. If you are already working with a local attorney, continue to do so, but if you have only spoken with somebody, but have not yet retained one, I would encourage you to do so - make sure you speak with one that has experience with social security disability law experience, and contact them promptly - as I noted above, the timing on these procedures is very important to maximizing your benefits and ensuring there isn't a gap in coverage.