Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My landlord gave me 20 days notice to tell me that he wont be resigning my lease. not only

Customer Question

my landlord gave me 20 days notice to tell me that he wont be resigning my lease. not only that but he has also said that he would not give a good recommendation because he does not agree with my parenting.. letting my 6 and 7 year old daughters ride their bikes not monitored in the private drive way. Saying that my friends have been seen on their other tenants porches uninvited. In truth my "friends" are actually little kids who go door to door asking everyone for a cigarette... I've never provided tobacco to children. Nor are these teens my friends. I've never paid late. I pay all my bills on time. This has not only caused me a great deal of stress but i feel this is unjust. Is this legal? Do i have any rights protecting my name from slanders? Do my family and I have to be homeless because of the short notice and lies about my character?
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.
I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.
Let's try to address these issues one at a time:
1) The Lease:
This is a little good news bad news situation here. The landlord is not obligated to renew your lease. He is obligated to give you sufficient notice to move. Also he can not engage in self help to remove you. If you overstay the lease, the landlord must bring an eviction action against you to force you out. That process takes time. Also if you dispute the eviction that process takes additional time.
You do not need an attorney to fight an eviction, simply respond in writing to any summons and complaint that you receive and request a hearing and go to the hearing. It may be that you will lose the eviction, in which case you may be liable for the court costs. But it will gain you a significant amount of time to find a new home.
This article will give you detailed instructions on the process and step by step directions:
http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/resource/your-rights-as-a-tenant-in-washington#_Toc346017642
Here is a link to the law:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/overview-landlord-tenant-laws-washington.html
2) Defamation
This is more complicated by far than the eviction process.
You can file a claim for the defamation. But the Court that handles evictions can not handle Defamation claims. You would have to bring a separate matter in Superior Court. This is a more complicated process, and you would likely require an attorney to manage it. However here is a link to the Court's self help materials:
https://www.courts.wa.gov/?fa=home.home&tab=legalRes
To prove defamation you will need to plead and prove that the landlord is making false statements about you to other persons and show how those statements have damaged you.
I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.
If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.
Good luck.
Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for putting my mind at ease.
You are very welcome.
If I can be of help to you in the future, just place "For Gerald" in the beginning of your new question and post it in the general legal category.
Good luck to you.
Kind regards,
Gerald
(Please do not forget to rate me. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)