LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Am I legally responsible care of my disabled husband

Customer Question

Am I legally responsible for taking care of my disabled husband who has Parkinsons.
I am only with him because he ruined my credit. Otherwise I would have left him a long time ago. He is very demanding and verbally abusive. I just paid $4,000 to a realiable form for him NY Medicaid. It is still pending.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Under NY law, you are financially responsible for your husband so long as you remain married, and marital assets and income may be taken or sued for if his care is not paid for. You only avoid responsibility for his medical expenses when you get a divorce.
However, you are not obligated to be his caretaker and you may separate from him and refuse to provide physical care for him.
If you remain in the home and ignore his physical needs or fail to provide for his care and safety, you can be charged with neglect. So the safest thing to do would be to relocate to a place of your own, or a friend's or relative's until you can get a place of your own.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug