How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26295
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I obtain a video that was used in my case from tom thumb

Customer Question

How do I obtain a video that was used in my case from tom thumb .it is not in my file and I do not want to ask the lawyer that represented me . how can I obtain a copy
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Is the case still open? What was the video used for? Did your attorney have a copy at any time? Just trying to get a good idea of what is going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am on felony probation and signed a plea for a crime I didn't commit ... Yes he had a copy but said he had to give it back to state attorney. My lawyer misrepresented me and I do not want him to cause me any grief or problems by asking him for it.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Can you also share with me why you want it now though? If the case is closed, I am trying to determine the need for the video?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I feel it is my right to have and I have been treated badly in this city .. And I really want it just for the fact it wasn't given to me in my file

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
If the State turned it over during the discovery process and was used against you, your attorney had a right to make a copy of it. The tape is not likely just sitting in the actual court file with the clerk of court and is in possession of the State Attorney. If the case is closed, there is going to need a legal basis for you to obtain a copy of it from them. At this point, you can try and make a written demand for it on your own to the State attorneys office and provide them with a disk to copy it onto and any other costs associated with it. If they decline, then an attorney would need to get involved. While I understand your feelings regarding the situation, it is not necessary something that is just kept or something that a defendant has a right to have after the case is over, since it is evidence which belongs to the State of Florida.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!