Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My step-father murdered my mother in October 2007. At the time

Customer Question

My step-father murdered my mother in October 2007. At the time he was employed by Giant Foods, was a part of a union and had a pension. Some of the theories of why he murdered her was that they were separated and he did not want to have to give her any of his pension. I want to go after him for her portion, or what would have been owed to her. He was convicted and sentences to life in prison without the possibility of parole. How would I go about finding out what happened to his pension and can I pursue getting my mother’s entitlement.. or what would have been?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did you open probate on your mom's estate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been a while, I did have an attorney at the time that did something...
Thank you for your reply.
You would need an attorney to do this, as you would be suing for his pension on behalf of her estate and as such the estate has to be represented by an attorney. The union is not going to give you information about his pension. You will have to actually sue him for his pension and through that process you would subpoena the pension plan for the information about his pension so you know what is available for you to seek to recover on behalf of your mom.