Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I would like to know if i can be arrested outcall and incall Reiki/non-therau

Customer Question

hi i would like to know if i can be arrested for given outcall and incall Reiki/non-theraupeutic body rub the cliewnt always be draped no contact with genital or any kind of sex) in the state of TN. i am attending college and i need some income :( thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no prostitution of anykind
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
If there is no sexual contact for the exchange of money you would not run afoul of Tennessee's prostitution statutes.
You can see the relevant definitions of prostitution and sexual contact under Tennessee's laws here and what you intend does not make out this crime:
http://www.socratek.com/StateLaws.aspx?id=608760&title=39-13-512%20Prostitution%20Definitions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I heard that I can be arrested for doing body even i I am not performing any act of prostitution
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I meant body rub
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am confuse because they say that body rub is the same as massage and to do a massage you have to be license in tn. so I JUST want to be sure if I work as a body rub I am not going to be arrested. because I am going to nursing school and they require a background check and if I am arrested for body rub my career as nurse will be over :(
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
From what I have found on the web, Tennessee doesn't regulate the practice of reiki, so you do not need a license.
http://tennesseereiki.yolasite.com/about-reiki.php
Reiki is not massage but is the laying on of hands akin to a religious practice.
You should double-check with the TN Board of Massage Therapy at Tel:(###) ###-####to see if they require a license for Reiki. If they do not, it's okay for you to practice it the way you have described.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I do have a Riki license
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Well then, there should be no problem. Reiki is not massage. If you are practicing Reiki, you don't need a massage license.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well my final question is "body rub" illegal in Tennessee no sex involve of any kind. Just answer me if performing body rub is ilegal or not. thanks
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
If you are performing Reiki then it is legal in Tennessee so long as no sex is involved.
If you are not doing Reiki but giving a massage, then it is illegal if you are not licensed to give a massage.
Tennessee law defines massage in section 0870-01-.01 of the Rules of the Tennessee Massage Licensing Board as:
"The manipulation of the soft tissues of the body with the
intention of positively affecting the health and well-being of the client."
Arguably, that's what you'd be doing, and if it is not Reiki, you could get in trouble for it. The penalty would be a civil fine and could cost you up to $1,000 depending upon the findings of the board.