Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I did not know I had an overpayment in 2009 from unemployment

Customer Question

I did not know I had an overpayment in 2009 from unemployment of Michigan it was for 9k!They sent letters for me to come in office for hearing!I never got the notices because I took out of state Job!I found out in Feb because they took 20 K from my federal return!I also was issued warrant in 2012 because I ignored letters!I have paid overpayment back and am going to pay entire penalties back!They said because I did not respond it was fraud!I just want to move on !If everything is paid will they act on the warrant?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once the warrant is issued, they have to execute on that warrant, it is not going away until you surrender to the court. Now, the criminal charges may get dismissed if you work an agreement with the DA to make payment, but you must have a local criminal defense attorney and you need to have him arrange your surrender on the warrant so the warrant would be pulled from the system and you are not arrested when you least want to be arrested on the warrant. Once he does that, then he can negotiate a repayment with the DA and unemployment to get the fraud charges dismissed. That is the only way to deal with this now once you did not respond to them and they obtained the warrant.