Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Local sheriff won't lift a finger. A saddle has been stolen

Customer Question

Local sheriff won't lift a finger.
A saddle has been stolen from our business. We're a boarding facility in Olympia washington and we have evidence that a person stole a saddle from one of our boarders. If this goes on any longer she'll successfully sell the saddle and get away clean.
This person we're after apparently sells a lot of horse tack with no business of acquiring. She works at boarding facilities and seems to lift valuables but is smart about it.
We have a screenshot of her posting to sell a saddle just days after taking it from our facility.
She also had access to the tack room she stole from, left thousands of dollars of tack and saddles alone, and targeted her friend. The same friend she claimed had her saddle not long ago.
I need someone to at least search her facebook, GPS location on a very specific day from her phone, and any other online history regarding selling a this saddle.
What can I do?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
Theft is illegal no matter the amount, so whoever told you otherwise is just wrong.
Unfortunately, there is no way to make the police pursue a case.
There are a couple of avenues you can pursue.
The first would be to go and talk to the District/State's Attorney directly and explain the situation. Since they're elected many times they are willing to get involved and try to push someone to pursue the investigation and the DA can actually file the charges.
The second would be to file a complaint against the sheriff with the Attorney General of your state. However, I've never seen anyone actually get results by doing this but in theory it could work.
The third route would be to pursue a civil lawsuit for an injunction to prevent the sale of the saddle, the return of the saddle or, alternatively, a judgment for the monetary value of the saddle. You can also ask for punitive damages but you never actually count on getting those.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That's actually what I figured thus far in my research. Until I have hard evidence though we have nothing.Is there anyway to get any information such as GPS location on her phone in a specific time frame? Or get facebook/ google to help?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You may be able to get that data once a lawsuit of some type is filed by using a subpoena. The companies will provide it if subpoenaed and if they still have the data but you want to move quickly because most of them don't retain the data very long.
If your question has been answered completely then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I receive credit for my work.
Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** luck in your endeavours.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome!