Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I was involved in an accident. I was not at fault and no injuries

Customer Question

I was involved in an accident. I was not at fault and no injuries were involved. I filed a claim through the at Faults insurance company, and they offered $1500 plus taxes for my vehicle , in which they totaled. I hired a private appraiser and they valued the vehicle at $6900. Its been 5 days since i submitted my appraisal to the insurance company, and ive yet to receive a response.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
Is there a specific question with which I could assist?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dwayne,

I need to to know if I can use the assistance of a lawyer to be able to setlle at the appraised value of $6900 versus the $1500 that they valued the car at. They could not find a similar car being sold in the last 30 days, so they are basing the value on dealer quotes .

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You can certainly hire an attorney to assist you in this process. Generally, property damage offers/settlements are made due to the information that is available. You may want to take a look at a good, inexpensive ebook at this site which explains how adjusters think and how offers of settlement are made. Once you understand the process it may enable you to handle it yourself or it may make you decide to invest in an attorney.
If I remember correctly there is a short section in there specifically on settling property damage in addition to an overall view of how the system works.