Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My sons mother has created an online campaign on something

Customer Question

My sons mother has created an online campaign on something called "gofundme.com" She is broadcasting that she is the victim of severe domestic physical abuse from me. The problem is that I have never laid a finger on this person in any violent way, shape, manner or form. She is asking for people to send her money as a result of this fabricated abuse allegation. I need to know if I have any legal recourse here and how to get the post taken down off facebook. Please advise.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under WI law, this would fall under not only defamation/libel, which is a known false statement about you to others, but also under invasion of privacy. In Wisconsin, "invasion of privacy" means a highly offensive intrusion upon another's privacy in a place a reasonable person would consider private or in a manner actionable for trespass; using, without written consent, a person's name, portrait or picture for advertising or trade; giving publicity to a person's private matters "of a kind highly offensive to a reasonable person," unless the information is available to the public as a matter of public record; or conduct involving depictions of nudity. WIS. STAT. § 995.50(2). So in this case, you would argue that the posts online were an invasion of your privacy in addition to constituting libel (written form of defamation).
As part of your suit, you would ask the court for an injunction to force her or Facebook (gofundme) to remove her post.
You could also make a complaint to the DA that she is committing fraud by seeking money under false pretenses and they could consider the case for criminal prosecution.