LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

In the state of Iowa, at a client's request, can an attorney

Customer Question

In the state of Iowa, at a client's request, can an attorney refuse to file a notice of withdrawal as their attorney if the client owes the attorney money?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. If the attorney is not longer representing you and working on the case, they need to withdraw. Even though money may be owed, if they remain as the attorney of record, they will be responsible for hearing and court appearances and dates, related to the case, so it is unclear why they would remain. If they refuse, you can file a motion and go before the Judge, advising you discharged them and need them to withdraw, since you will be representing yourself or retaining new counsel.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!