CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

What is the redemption period property tax lien in ny

Customer Question

what is the redemption period for a property tax lien in ny
i have two property tax liens in westchester county ny
after calling thne lien holder for a pay off amount he told me
that it is too late and i should have my attorney call him
can you explain, what the situation may be ?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
It is 2 years from the date of the lien sale.If you are past this date (or even if you are "inside" this date and you feel your are being blown off by the lien holder), contact a civil litigation attorney with some property law experience locally to represent you. This type of matter needs to be dealt with very quickly, so you don't have a lot of time to "self educate" as you go through it. You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you please tell me a little more , Are you saying that i do not have the right of redemption after that date ?
can you explain the possible scenarios ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and what can be done , you are an attorney and i am consulting with you on the matter today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one sale happened in march 2015 , the other not sure
Please understand, this is a "Q&A" forum, I cannot provide you with a consultation regarding your specific case, only a local attorney can provide you with that type of specific legal advice (we do not have an attorney/client relationship on this forum, and there is no attorney/client confidentiality).With regard to your matter, if the tax sale just occurred two months ago, you should have sufficient time to redeem the property, this requires paying off the entire tax lien, the cost of sale, plus any other fees or costs that were incurred in the transaction. With regard to the other property, you will want to get some more information on it prior to consulting with your local attorney - but don't waste too much time, your local attorney should have connections to a title company or escrow company that can help you with getting more detailed property information on these transactions and give you an assessment as to whether or not you are inside or outside the redemption period.If the current lienholder is not cooperating, having a lawyer on your side will help level the negotiations field and hopefully will help you reach a resolution faster than having to go to court and force the buyer to reconvey title (this will significantly drive up the transactional costs and cost you a lot more for the properties).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the two liens are for the same property, if one is in within the time period and the other not
can the lien holder foreclosure on my house or get the title without me knowing about it ?
i never received anything in the mail nor any court papers ?
That is a much more complex situation - the two loans should not have different auction dates (a single property cannot be auctioned off twice for the same owner's tax delinquency), but if this is what occurred, you have a very unique situation.Tax liens do not go through judicial foreclosure (you wouldn't receive notice from the court), they do post notice on the property, and generally will mail notice to the property, as well as any other address that is listed with the County tax collector), but they do not have to go through the courts.At a minimum, I would encourage you to gather the papers that you do have, visit the County tax collector's office and request the records for the property, and take these documents to a local attorney, they can better explain what occurred, and give you the potential routes to resolution and redemption (if appropriate).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no notice has been mailed to the property address .
i went to pay current village tax yesterday ( 2015 ) they only told me that there was 2 open tax liens one from 2011/12
and the name of the lien holder, they did not tell me anything else. Is this where i shoulg go ?
if there was a transfer of title , would nt they know about it ?
The County Recorder's office would be where you would go to find who owns the property.I would still recommend that you follow up with local counsel right away. If your property was erroneously sold at auction, you need to deal with it immediately (this isn't something you want to be trying to "self educate" on as you go - you need an attorney to handle this right away as the title to your property is already at risk and the municipality is shielded from a great deal of liability in these matters - so you are not likely to be compensated in a money judgment later).