CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Getting my tax return from State of Ne after statue of

Customer Question

Getting my tax return from State of Ne after statue of limitations has passed. I filed by 2006 tax return initially in 2007 with the State of NE. I have certified mail receipt and the Zerox copy of the original return. Later on 2-3 times I called them
to see if they got it and the answer was NO . So I volunteered to file it again and they said WAIT- DON'T FILE IT AGAIN BECAUSE if we get 2 returns it will complicate matters. After 2-3 follow ups with the State of NE Treasury (tax) , it JUST DROPPED OF My
attention. I guess that is where you could say its my fault. Fast forward 2015 - I filed the 2006 return and quite expectedly got the reply that my claim's denied as the statue has passed but it ALSO SAID,for any further appeals, file a case w /Lancaster County
Courthouse. SO I called up the courthouse & they told me that I can file a writ petition ... o appeal. But they CANNOT ADVISE ME THE FORMAT OF THE PETITION. WHAT FORMS I SHOULD BE FILING etc. and I should consult an attorney. I DON"T MIND CONSULTING YOU or
any other attorney (if I can afford it ) ... in helping me fill out the forms & paper work, LONG AS I STAND some chance to get my money back. I KNOW it was so neglectful of me not to follow up for 3 years after 2007. I was going through a divorce. But the
Q is..IS THERE A CHANCE I CAN GET MY MONEY FROM NE STATE . THEY ARE HOLDING MY REFUND.IS IT WORTH ALL THE TROUBLE -- THEN I WILL DO WHAT IS REQD. I WILL NEED TO engage the prospective attorney who can draft the paper work so I can file the writ petition in
the court . The deadline for filing is June 12th.. and 2006 we filed joint return. I am dovirced now and I don't know if my ex will sign this appeal. It will take sometime -BUT AT LEAST WITH THIS PAPER WORK- I HOPE TO GET MY FOOT IN before 12th Jine.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
In general, a claim for refund must be made within 3 years (see: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=s7727008000).
There may be some circumstances or facts which would create a different result in your case (this would be unusual), but a local tax attorney should be able to assist you with this in a consultation (you may be billed for this, but it would be a very short consultation, particularly if you can provide them with the type of tax, the withholding or payment that is at issue, the length of time, and a succinct summary of your conversations that led to you not pursuing the claim earlier).
A local tax law attorney is going to be the best professional to assist you, You can find local attorneys using the State Bar Association directory: , or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My 2006( Married joint) tax return had refund.Filed in 07,got misplaced, after IRS kept telling me to wait & not file another one.Issue got left off till I filed in 2014 & as expected got denial bc of statue of L.Letter asked me to pursue w/ county courthouse
in State of Ne.County court house says you can filed written appeal but they cannot advise what paper to fill (before 12th June).pl advise FORMS ,FORMAT & PROCEDURE to appeal. Right now I am divorced,so getting sign of ex will take time.
Dear customer, I do not have a forms library for those motions (most pleadings with the court must be drafted, they ate not forms, so your best bet is to actually hire a local attorney, you can also visit your local law library add they will often have additional resources in print, these are proprietary and not available online).
But I will also"opt out " and perhaps another expert will have a pleading index to refer you to, but with a deadline of the 12th, I'd recommend hiring tax counsel.