Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Is it legal in NJ state that place a couple of hidden camera

Customer Question

Is it legal in NJ state that place a couple of hidden camera in reception area and hallway in a holistic clinic because i need monitor how much employee receiving service fee when i am absent the clinic
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If the cameras aren't recording sound and are placed in a "public area" where people have no reasonable expectation of privacy, then they are typically legal. You can't place them in an area, like an examination room or bathroom, where someone would have an expectation of privacy. But in a public area like a reception area, a person doesn't have an expectation of privacy.
.
In New Jersey, N.J.S.A. 2C:14-6 (entitled “Invasion of Privacy”) makes it a third-degree crime to videotape, record, or otherwise reproduces in any manner or to disclose any videotape, recording, or any other reproduction of “the image of another person whose intimate parts are exposed or who is engaged in an act of sexual penetration or sexual contact, without that person’s consent and under circumstances in which a reasonable person would not expect to be observed.”
.
.
thanks