How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6269
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work third party company that services Funeral

Customer Question

Hello, I work for a third party company that services Funeral homes, coroners, and crematories. I feel Ive been discriminated against by Larimer county vital records. They will not fax me final disposition permits, they will simply not send death certificates but charge me for them. In addition, they will not accept funeral home requests that are contracted with my company. I have tried State vitals and they are doing nothing. I know this is government discrimination and or retaliation on a personal level. Larimer county has judged me unfairly and I'm not sure where to go from here. Any advice, please.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.
The first thing to try and the least expensive is to file a legislative inquiry against the vital records department.
The relevant CO law [at the link above] states:
Section 8.1 Authorization for Final Disposition of the Body
The office designated or established pursuant to 25-2-103 in the county where the death occurred or, if such an office does not exist in the county where the death occurred, the coroner or the coroner’s designee in the county where the death occurred shall authorize final disposition of the
body on a form prescribed and furnished by the State Registrar if:
Notice the statute's uses of the word "shall". This means that it MUST do this. When a government agency fails to do what it must do, the proper way to force it to comply is to file a mandamus action in court against the county official in charge of that agency. This is not something that one can easily and successfully do without the help of a civil litigation and appellate law attorney.
If you are being denied services because of your race, religion, sex, gender, or national origin, then you may want to hire a civil rights attorney to sue the county.
JA does not allow us to refer a lawyer to you; but you may want to contact the state bar:
I know this is not an easy solution, but it is the proper legal way to address the problems you are facing. One other thing to try before this is to file a letter complaint with you local representatives in your legislature. Sometimes a phone call from a state senator can get amazing results.
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!

Related Legal Questions