Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Several neighbors across the street from us are making accusations

Customer Question

Several neighbors across the street from us are making accusations against my husband regarding a recent incident of vandalism to their home. We don't really pay much mind to petty neighborhood gossip, but it has reached a point where twice they have accosted my husband, while he was on our street, both times holding our 2 year old daughter. The first time, they got so physically close to him and surround him, again with my 2 year old in tow, and were shouting obscenities and making threats to his safety. At the same time they were shouting gay slurs at another neighbor who was a witness. The police were called as my neighbors who witnessed this incident felt in fear for my husband and child's safety. After getting statements from each party, the neighbor had the police issue US a criminal trespass warning. We decided not to reciprocate as we are hoping to de-escalate this situation and feared that doing something so frivolous would only anger them further. Several days later we discovered that the reason behind this attack was because another neighbor is instigating this and gossiping with the aggressive neighbor, falsely implicating my husband in this vandalism. Again, the other evening my husband was trying to repair his vehicle in our driveway and I was outside with my daughter and a friend watching our kids play. The neighbor who is implicating my husband approached us and I walked in the house as to avoid conflict. Shortly there after I heard shouting, so I came back onto my porch and began asking the neighbor to please leave. I said, "I am asking you to leave from in front of my house. Please leave" I must have asked her to leave 8 times. She then left shouting obscenities at me. About an hour later the police arrived again. A minor, of the aggressive neighbor, had contacted them because she heard the verbal altercation. Shortly after the police left, the one neighbor whose yard was vandalized came speeding down the street and came narrowly close to hitting my husband with his vehicle. Then the other aggressive neighbor returned home and immediately came out of his driveway over in front of my home where my husband was standing, AGAIN holding my daughter and finger in face began threatening him. We have video of this incident as the officers we have been in communication with have advised us. We feel very unsafe in our own neighborhood. I am not sure what our rights are as homeowners. I have tried to contact the HOA to see if they might be willing to mediate. We have asked the sheriff's to mediate, but the neighbors declined. This insinuations has defiled our reputation in our neighborhood. One of the neighbors who threatened my husband the second time is a renter. Doesn't even own the home he lives in. As home-owners, I feel very defeated. We live in a gated family community. Yet, I am left feeling as though we have no recourse in this matter and that is the most frustrating thing of all. Please advise the best you can. Thanks
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we try and answer general ones like "please advise" "what are my rights" or "what are my options" we have to give very general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.