Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I live in Wichita ks I have had my record expunged and

Customer Question

I live in Wichita ks I have had my record expunged and haven't commited any crimes in the past ten years. Can I own a firearm? I had some Dv convictions in the past and one criminal threat.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

Have your domestic convictions all been expunged? If so, you should be able to own a firearm again.

The Federal government will take away your Federal rights for a domestic violence conviction. Under the Lautenberg Amendment, the loss of your Federal rights is supposed to be for life. But 18 USC 922 does say that the Federal government will restore your rights after an expungement or pardon. So if you are denied when you try to purchase a weapon because you cannot pass the NICs check because of your DV conviction, you would be able to appeal that denial based on your expungement.

If you haven't yet had them expunged, you will need to get the DV cases expunged or pardoned to get your Federal rights back.