Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

How do you go about revoking a Legal Guardianship in the state

Customer Question

How do you go about revoking a Legal Guardianship in the state of Georgia.
The Guardian has over stepped her boundaries and as a result has excepted assaultive/battery behavior towards the person she was supposed to protect.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
If this person was court appointed your first step is to report it to the Georgia Dept. of Aging as abuse here to have them investigate it.They can seek removal of the guardian on an emergency basis and other measures to protect the person from abuse.
This is necessary because if the person is court appointed they will need to get the court to amend the guardianship and appoint a new guardian.This is the place to start this to protect the ward from the guardian here.
Call them toll-free: 1-866-55AGING (1-***-***-****) - Press “3”
The Georgia Department of Human Services (DHS), Division of Aging Services, Adult Protective Services (APS) has to investigate all reports of abuse, neglect, and/or exploitation of older persons (65+) or a adult (18+) with a disability who do not reside in long-term care facilities pursuant to the Disabled Adults and Elder Persons Protection Act, O.C.G.A. §§ 30-5-1, et seq.
They have to investigate and take action here by law.Please report this and make sure the person is protected from further abuse and removed as guardian.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.