Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have a legal issue where a person with my same name and dob

Customer Question

I have a legal issue where a person with my same name and dob is a convicted felon(this is true I have paper from the courts that proves it's not me based on fingerprint proof) . This person has been a fugitive for 19 years with a current warrant for arrest . Problem is every time I try to get into a business that requires a license I have to fight for years to clear my name. Is it possible to have the court change these records to John Doe since it's entirely possible that this person stole my identity?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

This is not an uncommon situation and it causes a great deal of inconvenience. Unfortunately, however, this is not somethng that you can fix. You can get your own records corrected, but you have no standing legally to alter anyone else's.

Many people in this country may have the same names and even the same date of birth, but criminal records are based on fingerprints. A letter from the court -- preferably from the prosecutor who was assigned to the other case -- stating on official letterhead that you are not the same person wanted on a fugitive warrant is going to be the best that you can do, until the other person returns to court and lifts his warrant.

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.