Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Help please!! My husband has recently left me

Customer Question

help please!!
My husband has recently left me for another woman. We have been married for 20 years. He was fired from his job for having an affair with an employee. His boss paid his severance pay of $8000 he has put it in a joint account. Am i entitled to half of it? Can I go to the bank and withdraw half of it?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be lad to assist.
Anything acquired during the marriage is considered marital property. Thus, if he put the money into a joint account with your name on it, there's nothing that should prevent you from making a withdrawal.