Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son was in prison sex crime. He spent the whole time

Customer Question

My son was in prison for a sex crime. He spent the whole time required by the Judge. The judge said he had to reg. for 10 years. since then he has done that time also. does he still have to register as an offender.? We live in Neb.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Nebraska changed their law in 2009 to make the minimum registration 15 years or 25 years or lifetime. So, if he was sentenced to 10 years, he would now fall under the 25 year registration and would have to register for that full period (15 year registration allows to apply to court for a reduction after 10 years now). See: NE Statute 29-4005. The courts have held that the legislature made this law apply retroactively, so the fact they changed the law after his conviction and before he completed his registration he would have to continue to register.
If he completed his registration period before the law changed in 2009, then he no longer has to register.