Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My daughter is a nurse practitioner local

Customer Question

My daughter is a nurse practitioner for a local clinic..recently she was told that no federal taxes had been taken out of her check (her employers error) they are now taking 900.00 out every two weeks this apparently happened to others as well she is single
and cannot afford this.. Does she have any recourse?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and thank you for requesting I provide information in this regard
This is an unfortunate situation.
The bot***** *****ne is the taxes must be paid, as I am sure you are well aware. If your daughter and the others can show the employer deliberately did not withhold the taxes - as in they did it knowingly and that it was not an error on their part, then I suggest they can take the matter to small claims court and try to recover the money from the employer.
However, I suggest there is no guarantee that a court will "punish" an employer for an error.
Do you know how long the employer did not withhold the taxes?
Was it a matter of they did withhold and then all of sudden stopped the deduction?
If yes, did your daughter not notice an increase in her paycheck because the money was not being withheld?