Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My dog (lab / chow mix)mauled my neighbor's " dog" thru

Customer Question

my dog (lab / chow mix)mauled my neighbor's "weenie dog" thru the fence. now she's asking me to pay $5000 in vet bills. Louisiana. my dogs are only aggressive in the yard. am I responsible? its her fence that is in disrepair.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Did your dog actually enter the neighbor's property when it injured their dog?
.
Does she have proof that she has given you for the alleged $5,000 in vet bills?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no he was in my yard. she says he pulled her door partially thru. no proof. just happened. says he will be airlifted to schreveport for face rebuilding'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dog not door sorry
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if your dog was on your property and she wasn't properly restricting access to your property by her dog, then I would opine that you wouldn't be liable for her dog's injuries. So if her dog poked its head into your property and your dog then injured it, this is her fault for not making sure that her dog couldn't enter any portion of your property.
.
She will obviously claim that your dog stuck its head through the fence and grabbed her dog from her property and pulled it through the fence. But if she didn't maintain her fence so as to prevent her dog from being able to access your property, then she is negligent in not doing so.
.
If she tries to sue you, then it will come down to which party the judge feels is more credible as to their account of what happened.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time...
.
If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.
.
.
thanks much