Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I need to know if they are supposed to write you a written

Customer Question

I need to know if they are supposed to write you a written citation to appear in court for animal cruelty when they take an animal and if they're supposed to take all animals on the property or just pick and choose what they want to take
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
They do not have to write you a citation immediately if they are investigating cruelty, even though they may have taken the animal. They can take the allegedly abused animal only and continue with the investigation until they make a determination legally as to whether or not to bring charges against you. They can take up to 18 months, which is the NE statute of limitations to file charges for a misdemeanor of animal cruelty.