Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Is it legal to post a video of a minor that you are not the

Customer Question

is it legal to post a video of a minor that you are not the guardian of on social media in north carolina?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Please tell me
1 - How did you get the video?
2 - Was it taken with the consent of the parent?
3 - What is it a video of the minor doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another parent (mother) was constantly taken videos of my ballet class with 6 other students in it. No, none of the other parents gave direct consent for her to video.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you. I suggest that permission should be given for a video to be taken in a private class. If it is a recital and the director allows photos and videos then everyone is on notice that their child may be on a video. However, in this situation the director of the ballet class should make rules about video and state that they should only be on the person's child unless they get permission from the other parents to take their child. As to it being on the internet, you should write the parent and request it be removed as you did not give permission to have your child taken in the video and it was a private place. If she doesn't then you can discuss a possible lawsuit with a local attorney.I suggest you also bring it to the attention of the ballet director and ask that rules be established.