Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

We recently bought a home ...a registered sex offender lives

Customer Question

we recently bought a home ...a registered sex offender lives next door ..turns out the builder gave him keys to the house ....what rights do i have
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Is the registered sex offender bothering you in any way? Is he (I assume it is a male) trespassing? Harassing? Being a nuisance? Threatening? Etc.
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i had to get a no trespass against him due to the fact he was walking through my yard " in back of my house" and close to my house while staring at my windows when he thought no one was home or late at night .....later after telling him to stay off my property his wife came home and went ..well for lack of better terms went bat shit crazy ...thats when we called the police

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, B.
1) The seller did not have to disclose that a sex offender was a neighbor. There is no such demand under VA law for this. So the seller is simply not liable here.
2) The neighbor himself is like any other neighbor, registered sex offender or not. They cannot trespass on the property, and cannot harass, threaten, or otherwise be a nuisance. Doing so can have you get a restraining order like you did, or, sue him for nuisance, trespass, etc. You always have the ability to call the police if he is doing something dangerous.
But other than that, even if he is a sex offender, he is a neighbor and is treated just like any other neighbor.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.