Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Is it legal to issue shares of common stock at a price below

Customer Question

Is it legal to issue shares of common stock at a price below par in Wyoming
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.
The par value of a share of stock is the value stated in the corporate charter. Upon on initial offering, shares of that class cannot be sold upon below par. The issuing company promises not to issue shares below par value so investors can be confident that no one else will receive a more favorable issue price. Thus, par value is the nominal value and the company's minimum price for a share of stock.
Answer: No. However, the Wyoming corporation could issue shares without a stated par value for any value it decides to.
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!