LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I had a default judgment entered against me in Ct. I had filed

Customer Question

I had a default judgment entered against me in Ct. I had filed an appearance but nothing afterward. It is slightly over 4 months now but I would like to be able to open this judgment. I was overwhelmed at the time of the proceedings and in therapy etc. Can I do this?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You can try and file a motion to vacate the default judgment. Simply filing a notice of appearance at the time, would not prevent the default from being entered. You would need to show good cause and explain to the Judge why you failed to respond, when you found out about this and that you have defenses to raise and want to contest the matter and have it decided on the merits. If you can do this and show the Judge you were not of sound mind at the time, he/she may be inclined to vacate it and let you file an answer and defenses.