Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My mom died in 2007 in Michigan me and my brother stayed with

Customer Question

my mom died in 2007 in Michigan me and my brother stayed with her and helped take care of her she quicked claimed the house to me and I filed it after she passed. I am now getting a letter from the state of Michigan wanting me to prove residency but I do not live there I stay there sometimes but my brother has been staying there what does this mean
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
They are wanting to know if you want to claim this as principal residence so you get the property exemption.
If you filed the quit claim in 2007 then the proper taxes should have been paid.
Here is reference to the principal residence exemption.Unless you have been claiming this as your principal residence you should not owe additional taxes.If you have been claiming it and claiming other property there may be taxes due.
Reference..
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/2856_11014_7.pdf
See Chapter 2 residency..
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
More reference about residency..
http://www.rhoadesmckee.com/news_and_publications/legal_alert_are_you_entitled_to_michigan_principal_residency_exemption/
Thanks again.