Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

How do I protect my self financially from soon -to- be ex

Customer Question

How do I protect my self financially from soon -to- be ex spouse opening and charging on credit cards ?. Previously, a notice could be published in a certain publication or newspaper. WE both stated to a lawyer that we were separated as of 01/24/2015.
THIS meeting occurred in 02-2015. Divorce papers have not been filed yet, but are in the process.. Rik
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Welcome back, I look forward to working with you again.
At this point, you have to file your legal separation papers to stop the community estate of assets and losses from accruing. CA considers the date of legal separation to be the important date in deciding when the community property ends. You can publish in the classified section "I, your name, is no longer responsible for any debts created by wife's name." But what the court will look to in absolving you from liability for debts is the actual date of separation and the newspaper ad helps prove the date and is a part of the evidence as is the proof of when you ceased living together as husband and wife or when the first legal documents were filed to separate or dissolve the marriage.