CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

If my father informed me to do what I have to do , because

Customer Question

If my father informed me to do what I have to do for him, because he was to sick to do for himself, is it legal without the power of attorney
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
No, you will need a legal power of attorney (something in writing, and depending on your state, possibly witnessed and/or notarized).If your father no longer has the necessary capacity to make this declaration, you would then need to petition the court for a guardianship or conservatorship over him in order to make these types of decisions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this expensive to petition the court? I live in Kansas, and my Dad is in a hospital in Missouri?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Dad lives in Kansas, also.
It isn't necessarily expensive, but it is time consuming (you are taking away your father's very basic civil liberties when you assume a conservatorship - this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but courts want to be very certain when they award this power over someone). Here is a guide to conservatorships in Missouri: http://www.mobar.org/uploadedFiles/Home/Publications/Legal_Resources/Brochures_and_Booklets/Probate_Law_Resource_Guide/guardians.pdfAnd here is a link to information regarding the same in Kansas: http://www.ksgprog.org/Publications/Guide%20to%20KS%20Law.pdf