Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a federal recorded tax lein. I want to declare

Customer Question

Hi
I have a federal recorded tax lein. I want to declare chapter 7.
How can I get the IRS to wipe out a recorded tax lein? I think The lein remains after bankruptcy. I don't own anythinG. With bankruptcy will I be personally responsible? I have no asserts. If I begin to rebuild after I declare Chapter 7 would the purchase of future assetts (purchased after the chapter 7 bankruptcy) be subject to the tax lein?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Hi I have a federal recorded tax lein. I want to declare chapter 7. How can I get the IRS to wipe out a recorded tax lein? I think The lein remains after bankruptcy. I don't own anythinG. With bankruptcy will I be personally responsible? I have no asserts. If I begin to rebuild after I declare Chapter 7 would the purchase of future assetts (purchased after the chapter 7 bankruptcy) be subject to the tax lein?

Response: These are all would depend on the age of the tax debt before the filing of your bankruptcy petition and whether the tax debt is dischargeable. If this tax debt is not considered a priority debt, the debt can be discharged in bankruptcy and you would no longer be personally liable for the debt and your future assets would not be affected—the lien would not attach on your future assets. You can list this debt as non-priority debt on your bankruptcy Schedule if that is the case. After discharge, IRS would release the lien. The lien would not attach on future assets and you would not be responsible for the debt. For more information, click on the link below:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/tax_aspects_of_personal_bankruptcy.pdf