David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney
Experience:  JD with Distinction, Admitted to practice in California
19551178

How can I legally cancel a two year contract with Directv.

Customer Question

How can I legally cancel a two year contract with Directv. When I first signed up online I was told that I would get a Sam's gift card for signing up. When I did not receive the gift card within 6 weeks I called and was told that there was nothing on file from me and that I would have had to verbally speak to a representive when signing up. I also feel that I was told that the cost would be $19.99 a month and when I got my first bill it was $53 because of the equipment. I am 80 years old and on a fixed income and feel that i was taken advantage of because I was trying to save some money. Can you help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was charged on my credit card. Do I have any way to get this disapproved and canceled?
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 1 year ago.
There are really two issues here.
First, if you were induced to buy or sign up with promises that were not fulfilled, then you may absolutely cancel the service regardless of what they say. In that case, they have breached the agreement.
The problem however is that not only have you been using the service, you have added some programming. This, in essence, is an acceptance of the original service - especially if you have been paying the bill(s).
If you truly you feel you were taken advantage of, I would contact them and immediately tell them this. Cancel the service. Tell them to disconnect you and send you a return shipping label for their equipment.
They will probably rumble about balances due, but for such small amounts they will NOT sue you. Eventually the whole mess will go away, although you may get some collections calls.
I hope this helps.
DCG