CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have a problem with girl friend. She had a condo, she

Customer Question

Hi, I have a problem with girl friend. She had a condo, she decided to transfer it to me. I payed all the remaining mortgage to the bank in cash. The bank processed it and waiting for the county to finalize the deed process. We couldn't finalize the transfer because the deed process took long time, almost 50 days. In the mean time, me and my girl friend had a problem and decided to stop our relationship. The problem is that, now she is not answering my calls and not responding my demands to finalize the process. Do i have any ground to take the case to court? I have bank evidence for making the money transfer, she sent me documents to be signed, there is one person between us who knows our deal.
Thank you so much for your help,
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
This is going to be a difficult case, courts rely on writings to control the outcome of these types of cases.Fortunately you have a lot of circumstantial evidence to support your position (the payment information from your bank, the partially completed transfer, and the testimony from the third party (hopefully it is not all hearsay)).You can also sue for what are called "equitable" remedies to help minimize your damages "in the alternative" (if the court rules against you on the title question). A claim for "unjust enrichment" would require her to repay you for the money that you invested in the property.However, these types of cases are especially good candidates for mediation. Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.