Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

WE have been married 9 years and now getting a divorce. During

Customer Question

WE have been married 9 years and now getting a divorce. During the marriage she bought (2) property behind my back. she bought them as a single woman with no release from me. Is this legal. Can I stop the sale to sort this out
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, you can stop the sale because these are considered community property. Any property purchased during the marriage, absent an agreement to the contrary, is considered community property. If she lied and claimed she was single, that does not change the fact legally it is still community property and you need to file in the divorce to stop the sale until the court decides and orders that you are entitled to your share of the property.
You need to file a motion for an injunction in the divorce case to stop the sale and have the property included in the community property.