Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  28 Years In General Practice,
68197583

If money, (1/2 million), was stolen from me by forging my signature

Customer Question

If money, (1/2 million), was stolen from me by forging my signature on bank checks 12 years ago, can I take any legal action, including criminal to retrieve it? The checks were
cashed 12 years ago and I took no action.
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
When did you learn of the forgeries? This occurred in Arizona?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I am an Arizona licensed attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist.
Most civil statutes of limitations have past for this type of matter. When did you first learn that your signature was forged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I received the bank statement which included the cancelled forged check.......in other words, almost immediately....within a couple of weeks, if not days......no more than a month. Furthermore this was a stream of forged checks that she wrote over period of months and made trips to places out of state where she cashed them and accumulated the cash I assume in safe deposit boxes.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Based on the information you provided this is a criminal matter.
This is a class 4 felony with NO statute of limitations.
Title 13 - Criminal Code
13-2002. Forgery; classification
A. A person commits forgery if, with intent to defraud, the person:
1. Falsely makes, completes or alters a written instrument; or
2. Knowingly possesses a forged instrument; or
3. Offers or presents, whether accepted or not, a forged instrument or one that contains false information.
B. The possession of five or more forged instruments may give rise to an inference that the instruments are possessed with an intent to defraud.
C. Forgery is a class 4 felony, except that if the forged instrument is used in connection with the purchase, lease or renting of a dwelling that is used as a drop house, it is a class 3 felony. For the purposes of this subsection, "drop house" means property that is used to facilitate smuggling pursuant to section 13-2319.
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/02002.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS
You have a criminal action and should contact law enforcement.
If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask me.
If you would be kind enough to rate my service so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.
Thank you for using JA!