Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a dog breeding kennel at our home in rural mountains

Customer Question

I have a dog breeding kennel at our home in rural mountains of Tulare county CA and we are zoned agriculture, do I need a cup land use change, or permit?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
For a kennel of more than 12 dogs you would need to have a special use permit, even on AG land and you have to file for the permit with the zoning clerk of Tulare County. It is a special use permit for the AG land.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do my personal house dogs not used for breeding count? The told me because I sell my dogs from here we need to zone comercia, is that correct because they want $6,000 plus to do that
Thank you for your reply.
If you are breeding commercially you need a special use permit. If you have personal dogs more than 12, you also need a special use permit. Yes, the commercial permits are expensive, the non-commercial permits are also over $1000 as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if I have less than 12 breeding dogs and I sell the pups? Could I sell from another location and breed them here without a permit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Special permit meaning changes our land to commercial?
Thank you for your reply.
Special use does not change your land to commercial. It would remain Agricultural and they would just let you use it for that other purpose in addition to the agricultural use.
If you have less than 12 dogs and are not selling from your property, you can most times get away without the special use permit unless someone turns you in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Someone already did turn us and we've been here 10 years and an ugly friend of mine and now I'm non-friend turned us in just to be mean so they know we have the dogs and that we breed
Thank you for your reply.
In that case you need to get the permit I am afraid, as you have been reported as it would be required only if you have the more than 12 or are doing it for commercial purposes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a store front operation they ar sold online and I either take them to the people or have a nanny take them, does that make a difference?
Thank you for your reply.
It does not matter that you have no storefront, if they prove you are selling you will be fined.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could I rent a office and sell from there?
If you are breeding them from your property and again you get reported you will be fined I am afraid if you do not have a special use permit, since you are actually running a commercial kennel on the property.